SERVE – 12
3 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium onion , finely chopped
2 cloves garlic , crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chilli or cayenne pepper
150 gm Basmati rice, washed and drained
325 ml skimmed milk
1 tsp salt
Ground pepper to taste
225 gm mange tout(broad beans), topped, tailed and cut in half
100 gm mushrooms , washed and sliced
1 small tin or 5 oz sweet corn, drained
50 gm sultanas, washed and soaked
For personal taste you can add coli flower, diced carrots,peas and sliced green peppers
1. Heat the oil in a large non stick pan .
2. fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 min.
3. add the cumin, coriander,paprika,turmeric and chilli and fry for further 3-4 min .
4. add the washed rice and mix well with the onion and spice for about 2 min
5. add the milk, salt and pepper, stir gently, bring to the boil cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked- approximately 15-20 min
6. whilst the rice is cooking, steam the mange tout, mushrooms, sweetcorn and sultanas “or any other vege you are putting” and fold into the rice.
7. cool and turn out onto a serving dish.
8. garnish with 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander.
serve this rice hot as an accompaniment to vegetable curries or dals.